Open-air exhibition – marine markers and beacons
Around 20 different marine markers are in the outdoor area around the museum ship. In addition to the classic landfall buoy, there are also conical buoys, spar buoys, leading lights and other marine markers. These markers were all used previously in the Warnow River and Rostock harbour entrance, and have now found a home here at the museum.
A special feature are the four yellow-black marine markers close to the boatyard. They mark a point of danger – in this case a hull protruding from the water – which should be avoided by the ships. There are also two dolphins that once adorned navigational beacons in the Warnemünde shipping channel.
If you follow the road from the village of Schmarl to the IGA Park, you will see the largest marine marker of the collection: the black and white pier light. This is the former beacon of the western pier in Warnemünde in 1963.
The LONG HENRY - floating crane
The Shipbuilding and Seafaring Musuem Rostock has a technical gem in the floating crane the LONG HENRY. With a lifting height of 50 metres and a maximum hook loading of 100 tons, it was one of the largest floating cranes in the world. The crane was powered by steam.
In 1905, the floating giant was built in Duisburg and put into operation at the Schichau shipyard in Gdansk.
During the Second World War, it was moved further and further east until the LONG HENRY finally dropped anchor in Warnemünde. After the war, the crane found a new lease of life at the Rostock Neptune shipyard, where it stayed until 1978. The giant crane was used for salvage work, the transport of ship sections and bridge houses, as well as for heavy cargo handling in the seaport of Rostock. After being decommissioned, the Shipbuilding and Seafaring Museum Rostock brought it into its collection in 1980.
Of course, the steel giant has had to undergo restoration and repairs from time to time. After numerous minor and major repairs, the LONG HENRY had to undergo an emergency repair in the Nordic Shipyard in Warnemünde on the 12th of February 2011. In 2010, a chamber of the pontoon sprung a leak and the inrushing water caused a dangerous tilt in the floating crane. The rusted crane boom was also restored. Since then, the LONG HENRY can once more be enjoyed at the IGA-pier.
The MAY 1st – Lifting vessel
The ship MAY 1st was built as the excavator SWINEMÜNDE (Świnoujście) in 1895 by the Lübeck Engineering Society. The vessel was used in Szczecin and the Swina waterway. At the end of the war in 1945, the ship was retrieved and temporarily taken out of service. Soviet troops dismantled the excavation equipment, but some machinery remained on board.
In 1949, the SWINEMÜNDE (Świnoujście) was rebuilt as an auxiliary salvage ship. In the 1950s, the craft was renamed the MAY 1st and became the most important vessel of the VEB Ship Salvage and Diving Society Stralsund.The ship sailed between Wismar and Wolgast. In the decades after the 1960s, the ship was used in hydraulic engineering as well as relocating energy cables and inverted siphons. In 1991, the Shipbuilding and Seafaring Museum Rostock took over the MAY 1st and undertook extensive restorations over a period of three years.
The CAPELLA - Concrete ship
The CAPELLA is one of the last floating concrete ships of its size in Germany. It was built in 1943 to 1944 in Swinemünde (Świnoujście) and Ostwine and has a Seeleichter Wiking engine.
Using concrete as substitute material in shipbuilding was particularly important during periods of acute steel shortage, such as those during wartime. However, the confusion of the last months of World War II prevented the final equipment of the vessel from being installed.
Before being taken over by the Shipbuilding and Seafaring Museum Rostock in 1988, the CAPELLA was used as a storage barge in Rostock's city harbour by the dredging, towing and salvage shipping company.
The SATURN – Steam tugboat
The SATURN was built in 1908 in the Hamburg shipyards for the shipping company Gebrüder Wulff and is a typical example of a small harbour tugboat for that time. Between 1939 and 1945, the tugboat was used by a shipping company in Szczecin.
After the war, the ship should have been relocated to Lübeck, along with the other vessels of the company. However, the vessels were confiscated and Stralsund became the new home port of the SATURN. Here, it was one of the few seaworthy vessels that were available when the GDR was founded.
In 1955, the ship finally arrived in Rostock at the Warnow shipyard, where it served until 1979. It then began its final journey to the museum. The SATURN was one of the last fully riveted and steam powered ships of the GDR maritime era.